CONSTABLE HOUSE 1907
5 Wellington St. N - GPS N43 07.545 - W079 11.676
The Constable House is executed in a simplified version of the "Jacobethan" style and is possibly the only example of this 20th century Renaissance Revival style in Thorold's domestic architecture. Renaissance Revival styles became popular in the U.S. between 1900 and1920, and were illustrated in pattern books of the period, but as they were primarily used for more ostentatious homes of the well to do, this style is much less common than other early twentieth century revival styles.
On October 31, 1906, Philip Rouse and his wife sold lots 5,6, and 7 on the west side of Wellington St. to John Constable and wife. The house was begun early in March 1907 and was ready to be roofed by May.
On March 26, 1907, the Thorold Post carried the following report:
"Robert Constable is putting up a fine stone residence on Wellington Street facing east, being the south half of the site recently purchased from Philip Rouse. The building will be of brown stone, with limestone trimmings, two stories high, and 26X39 feet over all, and cellar under the whole. It will contain four bedrooms, hall and bathroom upstairs, and hall, parlor, dining room and kitchen downstairs. It will be piped for waterworks and gas, and wired for electricity, and have all modern improvements. It will be a decided ornament to that part of the town, and Bob's enterprise is to be commended."
Robert Constable served as his own builder, along with his father, John Constable. Both were stonecutters, and John was one of the stonecutters who worked on the building of 'Maplehurst'.
The Constable family remained there until January 1914,when the property was expropriated by the Crown for the expansion of the Welland Canal.
For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.
|Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree||Dominion Government Building||Moore-Lampman House|
|Allanburg United Church||East Side School Bell||Munro House|
|Allanburg Village Cemetery||Fire Bell||O'Brien House|
|Beaverdams Burying Grounds||First Presbyterian Church||Old Firehall|
|Beaverdams Methodist Church & Graveyard||Flannery House||Port Robinson Brick School|
|Calcott-Walker House||George Bouk House||Quebec Bank|
|Camp House||Grenville House||Robert Elliot House|
|Carl, Misener, Bald Cemetery||Griffiths House||Ross House|
|Carnegie Library||Kennedy-Ward House||St. Andrews Presbyterian Church|
|Carr-Millar-McMillan Block||L.G. Lorriman/Central School||Sir Edward Beatty House|
|Carter-Holland House||Lynch House||The Stone Store|
|Chestnut Hall||Macartney Drug Store||Tracy House|
|Constable House||Maplehurst||Trinity United Church|
|Decew Young House||Memorial Park||War Memorial|
|Decou House Monument||Millar House||Welland Canal 2nd River Lock|
|Dobbie House||Millstone - Welland Mills||Welland Mills|