DOMINION GOVERNMENT BUILDING 1936
18 Front St. N.
Post offices in Canada have always been important buildings to any community; they were central locations and became meeting places for the residents of the municipality.
At the time of opening in 1936 the ground floor of Thorold's Post Office was given entirely to Post office requirements, except the room which was needed for the stairway to the next floor where Customs and other Federal business was transacted. The janitor's residence was at the rear upstairs, reached from the inside and outside and was a roomy and well arranged space providing for a family. The basement was dry, well lit and extending under the entire building with a heating plant at the rear.
A number of years ago when the Federal Government was in the process of closing many of their postal outlets in Canada, there was a loud cry heard across the land, and a group called "Rural Dignity" was formed as a lobby group, with members in towns and hamlets across the country. This illustrates the passion with which we hold our right to our own identity as Canadians living in small communities, and the importance of having our own post office building.
Today this building, standing in a key location, is still operating as our central post office, is extremely important to our community and serves its citizens and businesses well.
G.H. Petit laid the cornerstone on this building and the building was officially opened in May of 1936. George P. Foley was the Postmaster at that time and the Mayor was William Hutt. N.A. Kearns was the architect and the contractor was R. Timms Construction Company of Welland.
Like many federal buildings, the Thorold Post Office appears massive and impressive. Being part of the downtown, it has become one of Thorold's landmarks, part of the fabric of the community and a local meeting place. The post office is one of the few federal building built in Thorold.
The building has been constructed using white, ground Queenston stone in front and red brick for the sides and rear and was finished in a manner to befit a small city Canada in the 1930's.
For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.
|Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree||Dominion Government Building||Moore-Lampman House|
|Allanburg United Church||East Side School Bell||Munro House|
|Allanburg Village Cemetery||Fire Bell||O'Brien House|
|Beaverdams Burying Grounds||First Presbyterian Church||Old Firehall|
|Beaverdams Methodist Church & Graveyard||Flannery House||Port Robinson Brick School|
|Calcott-Walker House||George Bouk House||Quebec Bank|
|Camp House||Grenville House||Robert Elliot House|
|Carl, Misener, Bald Cemetery||Griffiths House||Ross House|
|Carnegie Library||Kennedy-Ward House||St. Andrews Presbyterian Church|
|Carr-Millar-McMillan Block||L.G. Lorriman/Central School||Sir Edward Beatty House|
|Carter-Holland House||Lynch House||The Stone Store|
|Chestnut Hall||Macartney Drug Store||Tracy House|
|Constable House||Maplehurst||Trinity United Church|
|Decew Young House||Memorial Park||War Memorial|
|Decou House Monument||Millar House||Welland Canal 2nd River Lock|
|Dobbie House||Millstone - Welland Mills||Welland Mills|