THE GEORGE BOUK HOUSE 1856
1893 Merrittville Hwy. - GPS N43 04.103 - W079 15.090
The land on which this 1 1/2-storey farmhouse stands was first settled by aboriginal people, then was acquired in 1795 by Christian Bouk, a farmer from Albany, New York. He built a log house on the land; around 1818 a frame house replaced it, then about 1856 the brick house that stands today was built. It is a five-bay Georgian structure, with 12" thick walls of bricks hand-made from clay excavated from the basement. In 1872-3 a carriage house, pantry, and summer kitchen were added, which made the house L-shaped. In 1905 a further wood frame addition was built, which has since been removed.
In the 1980s the house, which had been standing vacant, was restored, then was restored again after a fire in 1990.
For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.
|Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree||Dominion Government Building||Moore-Lampman House|
|Allanburg United Church||East Side School Bell||Munro House|
|Allanburg Village Cemetery||Fire Bell||O'Brien House|
|Beaverdams Burying Grounds||First Presbyterian Church||Old Firehall|
|Beaverdams Methodist Church & Graveyard||Flannery House||Port Robinson Brick School|
|Calcott-Walker House||George Bouk House||Quebec Bank|
|Camp House||Grenville House||Robert Elliot House|
|Carl, Misener, Bald Cemetery||Griffiths House||Ross House|
|Carnegie Library||Kennedy-Ward House||St. Andrews Presbyterian Church|
|Carr-Millar-McMillan Block||L.G. Lorriman/Central School||Sir Edward Beatty House|
|Carter-Holland House||Lynch House||The Stone Store|
|Chestnut Hall||Macartney Drug Store||Tracy House|
|Constable House||Maplehurst||Trinity United Church|
|Decew Young House||Memorial Park||War Memorial|
|Decou House Monument||Millar House||Welland Canal 2nd River Lock|
|Dobbie House||Millstone - Welland Mills||Welland Mills|