WAR MEMORIAL 1921
Memorial Park, 13 Albert St. East - GPS N43 07.487 - W079 11.776
The War Memorial Monument known as the Soldiers' Monument commemorates The Great War I - 1914 - 1919, World War II - 1939 -1945 and the Korean War. Thorold's War Memorial, located in Memorial Park, was unveiled on Sunday, October 30, 1921 and was erected by the citizens of Thorold to:
"Honour the Memory of the Men of Thorold, who gave their lives for the cause of freedom in the great war, and in grateful remembrance of those who shared its dangers."
Tribute is paid to Thorold's fallen heroes each year on Decoration Day and Remembrance Day. The War Memorial is a landmark in our City and an important part of our history. Our whole community, through this memorial, shows their reverence and respect for those citizens who served their country and who made the ultimate sacrifice. Their names live forever on our memorial, and are permanently enshrined in the history of the City. Designation of this memorial under the Ontario Heritage Act serves to recognize, protect and celebrate this landmark as an important part of our history, and as a dedication to those who fought for freedom. War Memorials serve to remind us of our heritage and those who gave up their lives to protect it. They give us a sense of pride in our communities and are an educational tool for young and old alike. This designation is for the historical aspects of the monument.
For description and images of other designated properties, please click links below.
|Allanburg Heritage Oak Tree||Dominion Government Building||Moore-Lampman House|
|Allanburg United Church||East Side School Bell||Munro House|
|Allanburg Village Cemetery||Fire Bell||O'Brien House|
|Beaverdams Burying Grounds||First Presbyterian Church||Old Firehall|
|Beaverdams Methodist Church & Graveyard||Flannery House||Port Robinson Brick School|
|Calcott-Walker House||George Bouk House||Quebec Bank|
|Camp House||Grenville House||Robert Elliot House|
|Carl, Misener, Bald Cemetery||Griffiths House||Ross House|
|Carnegie Library||Kennedy-Ward House||St. Andrews Presbyterian Church|
|Carr-Millar-McMillan Block||L.G. Lorriman/Central School||Sir Edward Beatty House|
|Carter-Holland House||Lynch House||The Stone Store|
|Chestnut Hall||Macartney Drug Store||Tracy House|
|Constable House||Maplehurst||Trinity United Church|
|Decew Young House||Memorial Park||War Memorial|
|Decou House Monument||Millar House||Welland Canal 2nd River Lock|
|Dobbie House||Millstone - Welland Mills||Welland Mills|